You might be wondering why people use acupressure mats covered in plastic dots so often, what it does, what it is, and what it helps, read more to find out.
What is an acupressure mat and how do they work?
Acupressure mats, also known as needle simulation pad, is a mat made with plastic nubs that one lays on. It is meant to apply pressure on various points of the body in comparison to acupuncture which uses needles on various points of the body.
Acupressure mats work by stimulating pressure points near the body’s meridian, the energy pathways that flow through the body, to balance the body’s energy flow. Acupressure mats are known to relieve pain, relieve anxiety, and promote better sleep.
How to Use an Acupressure Mat:
- Lay on the mat for 20-40 minutes every day.
- Find the right level of sensation with you by starting off with a thin t-shirt or towel.
- Find “the” position and relax.
- Remember to breathe.
- After you’re done with your mat time, make sure to drink water after because toxins are starting to break down right away!
How an Acupressure Mat Helps Anxiety:
- Reduces tension in the mind and body: Acupressure mats stimulate the areas and knots in the muscle fibres that affect tension.
- Releases Oxytocin and Endorphins: These natural hormones help relax the fibres and control metabolism, essentially generating wellbeing in the body.
- Calms one's thoughts and mind down: The time on the mat, just 20-40 minutes, makes you relax and keep your mind focused solely on exercise, calming your body and mind down.
- Treats and reduces headaches: Headaches are common in daily life, and are caused by neck and shoulder contractures. Laying on the mat, you help those muscles relax and reduce the headache.
- Distributes and balances energy in the right areas: The mat distributes and balances energy by pressing different pressure points in your body, not concentrating on only one pressure point, further helping to relax the body.
- Creating a daily habit of using this mat is healthy: Using this mat daily allows you to take care of your mind and body and avoids any muscular ailments because of stress and anxiety.
- Acupressure is similar to yoga and pilates: Using the mat maximises the effectiveness of yoga and pilates and using all of these reduces anxiety levels and promotes better sleep and moods.
After understanding how an acupressure mat works and the benefits of it, you probably want to buy one! Here are the acupressure mats we recommend!
If you are not looking for an acupressure set, rather just the mat, we also have that!