Reducing your carbon footprint as much as you can is the simplest way to protect our beloved planet, why not start by changing the yoga mat you use daily?
To make your search easier, we have found the best eco-friendly yoga mats for you by testing their functionality, sustainability and innovation.
Before revealing the best eco-friendly yoga mats, you might wonder what makes a yoga mat eco-friendly and what are the benefits of it?
A yoga-mat is considered eco-friendly based on the materials they use. Eco-friendly yoga mats are made with natural rubber and are fully biodegradable versus regular yoga mats that are made with PVC, polyvinyl chloride, made out of petroleum. The difference between natural rubber and PVC is that one hurts the environment tremendously by emitting toxic gases whereas one protects the environment.
Benefits of Eco-Friendly Yoga Mats
- The natural rubber material is strong and durable.
- The mats have excellent grip and are non-slip.
- The natural rubber material makes the mat cushiony.
- The mat is odour free and does not release any dangerous toxins into your environment.
- Eco-friendly mats are 100% biodegradable.
- The mats we recommend are 100% vegan and are not tested on animals.
Key Points in Choosing an Eco-Friendly Yoga Mat
- Look at the materials used in making the mat.
- Look for natural materials such as natural rubber not PVC.
- Read the usability of the mat: look at the grip, non-slip and the cushion.
- To further save our planet, read the company's sustainability statement to check if the mat is vegan and not tested on animals.
After much research and testing on our part, the mat we recommend are the Yogi Bare Mats!
Yogi Bare Mats
Yogi Bare mats are the most eco-friendly and sustainable that we found on the market! Made out of natural rubber and PU, they are also known for their amazing non-slip technology ensuring your yoga mat will always stay sturdy. Besides the best cushion and grip, they are 100% vegan, 100% biodegradable and not tested on animals, guaranteeing they are the best for our environment.
They offer many colours based on your taste from between £42.95 to £89.95 based on if you want a lightweight travel mat, a more-cushioned at-home style mat, or a longer and wider performance mat.
Yogi Bare Travel Mats - £42.95:
- Yogi Bare - Lightweight Travel Yoga Mat - Tropical
- Yogi Bare - Lightweight Travel Yoga Mat - Cosmic
Yogi Bare Yoga Mats - £74.95:
- Yogi Bare - Paws Natural Extreme Grip Yoga Mat - Black
- Yogi Bare - Lunar Paws Natural Extreme Grip Yoga - Blue
- Yogi Bare - Wild Paws Natural Extreme Grip Yoga Mat - Green
- Yogi Bare - Paws Natural Extreme Grip Yoga Mat - Grey
Yogi Bare High-Performance Mat - £89.95:
- Yogi Bare - Paws x Natural Rubber Yoga Mat 4mm - Black
However, if these mats are a little high for your price point, we have an alternative! Our second recommendation is the Yoga Studio Mats.
Yoga Studio Mats
Yoga Studio mats are lightweight, non-slip with extreme grip, comfort, support and free of 6 of the most harmful phthalates.
Yoga Studio 6mm Sticky Yoga Mats are only £24.95 with 12 colour choices to choose from.
For those who workout more, the innovative moisture-absorbing design in the Yoga Studio Grip Mat 4mm is the perfect choice for £48 with a choice of 6 beautiful colours.
If you aren’t looking for the typical rubber styled mat, Yoga Studio Cork Yoga Mat 4mm is also an option, one side being cork one being with rubber underneath. Cork mats are known for their biodegradable, no toxins or chemicals, self-cleaning and odourless properties.
If you are looking for other styles of mats other than the traditional yoga mat, don’t worry we’ve got you covered, we recommend these!
- Yogi Bare Acupressure Set - Black
- Yogi Bare Acupressure Set - Grey
If you are not looking for an acupressure set, rather just the mat, we also have that!
- Yogi Bare Acupressure Mat - Black
There are many yoga mats to choose from and we hope you have found inspiration to start reducing your carbon footprint slowly by purchasing one of these many wonderful options!